Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 174 | Tom Ford

One of my favourite designers is Tom Ford. What he's achieved, has been fantastic. Now I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but you have to admit he's got some style.

The blog world has been abuzz lately with the news that he will be launching a $1000 pair of jeans. Think about it. Nearly 8000kr for a pair of jeans. Now for me it's not so much about the price. OK, maybe a little bit, but it's mostly about how his jeans are made. From Japanese selvedge denim that looks and feels like raw denim, however, they have been pre-washed and pre-shrunken. This means the indigo doesn’t rub off. The seat is distinguished only by a straight stitched line across the pockets. Then there's a small black tab reading TF001 or TF002. Obviously Tom Ford No.1, a boot cut that Ford wears himself and Tom Ford No.2 is a straight-leg cut. The front button is plated with 18-karat gold, and the pockets are lined with silk, the same as Tom wears in his suits. Don't know about the button in gold. I love the button on my jeans that read: "A good pair of jeans is like a member of the family." Feels a bit more personal.

Now to get back to the whole pre-shrunk, pre-washed business. I'm struggling to understand why anyone would go this route with raw denim? Why not buy raw denim, instead of denim that appears to be raw denim. Maybe they do not want to get any indigo on their expensive leather lounge suite at home or the office? Maybe they wash their jeans after every wear in any case and don't care for wearing them in? Perhaps wearing denim for 6 months without washing them is seam to be a little gross? I just don't know. I prefer the idea of wearing my jeans in first, so they have my marks on them, then washing them after six months and letting them shrink for a perfect fit on my body.

What happens with his jeans after they've been worn in and everything is stretched. What then? The owner can't even shrink them in the first wash for a better fit. Perhaps when you're willing to spend $1000 on a pair of jeans you just throw them away when they've stretched too much and get another pair.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't mind a free pair, if anyone is feeling in the mood, you know, just to see what they're all about.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wearing a pair of Tom Ford denim jeans now for two weeks and they are definitely not stretching as much as the Nudie Jeans I had been wearing prior. Also, if you ever need to tighten the jeans back up you just throw them in the dryer. I usually do this once a week with my selvage jeans. After stretched they will draw up, weather or not they are pre-shrunken. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think two weeks is a long enough time to see if they stretch? I only started wearing a belt with my Dr.Denims after 4 months. Thanks for the comment. Let me know how those Tom Fords hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had two pairs of nudies, one for over a year and I always put them in the dryer to tighten them back up. The jeans are more durable than the nudies as well as fit better then either pair of regular ralf's I havve had. I feel that they are very similar to the Dior Homme jeans, however, they are a true bootcut which is very difficult to find in the selvage denim market, or at least one that fits well. I will let you know after a few more months how the stretching does.

    ReplyDelete