Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 3 Washing Harris a second time

The jeans I used for my first test was a pair of Dr.Denim Harris Raw. I washed them for the first time after 6 months, during which I wore them every day. After that they went into my collection and I wore them probably once a week. Their second wash was then after another 16 months.

Most of my readers are interested in knowing how to wash them, so I'll quickly cover it again. I wash mine for the first time inside out, and by themselves. This should be obvious, but if you don't know why, it's because raw denim has never been washed before, and the amount of Indigo dye they lose during their first wash will definitely colour everything else a very dark blue indeed. So try to avoid it. I also switch off the spin cycle. Here's a quote to help you understand why we should learn from other people's mistakes. "I spun my Samurai s500wx just to get the water off (no heat) and regretted it. After 10 mins, I checked on my baby and found a murder scene in the machine. It was blue everywhere. Don't do it."

After the wash without the spin cycle, I stretch the stitching in the legs out. Just grab the crotch area and the hem for the inner stitches or the pocket and the hem for the outer stitches, and slowly stretch each of them. Different materials are used to make the jeans and stitch them together, so it helps to stretch them a bit before you hang them up to air dry. If you want to read more, then I posted before about how to wash your jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment